Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"Hot in Cleveland" V "Golden Girls"




When watching “Hot in Cleveland,” a show about four not so old ladies that was aired in 2010. The comparison to “Golden Girls” that was aired in the 1980’s isn’t perfect, and it’s not just because Cleveland, Ohio is a long way away from Florida. The cultural differences are immediately recognizable. The women are a decade or two younger than those played by Rose, Blanche, Dorothy and Sophia in the “Golden Girls”. Now, that makes for a different tone. Meanwhile, stereotypes and similarities do exist. For example, when Blanche from “Golden Girls” talked about her previous or intended conquests; it had the air of someone living in the past. When Victoria from “Hot in Cleveland,” comes home from a night in a hotel room, it’s no stretch at all to imagine what went on there.

The revamp of the “Golden Girls” returns is with a slightly different age brackets. Therefore, the similarities between the two are Valerie Bertinelli is the new Rose, Jane Leeves is Blanche, Wendie Malick's is Dorothy and Betty White has turned into Sophia.

The cultural change in “Hot in Cleveland” has three best friends, bound for two-weeks of adventure in Paris, set down unexpectedly in Cleveland, Ohio, because of mechanical problems with their plane and they liked Cleveland, so they stayed and rented a house.
While the “Golden Girls” were All-American women from different sections of the country, all of them have been divorced or widowed, and the four of them are roommates.

Therefore, “Hot in Cleveland” demonstrates single women living together is definitely the way to manage life and can be accomplished in hometowns all across the country, or even around the world. But, it is not like living in an exotic location, like Miami, like it was for the "Golden Girls."

Watch the clip.“Golden Girls” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhlnL0AbmI

8 comments:

  1. I love the "Golden Girls" they were what I grew up watching still watch them to this very day. I like your comparison they are very similar to "Hot In Cleveland." Just with different people. Good post, I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written! I used to watch the Golden Girls, don't watch that show anymore and I haven't seen Hot In Cleveland before, I might just check out that show to see whether I like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the re-runs of "The Golden Girls". I have seen a few episodes of "Hot in Cleveland" and found them to be somewhat predicatable. You are so right that in the new show Betty White has evolved into the Sophia type character from "The Golden Girls".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, thank you for your comment. I still watch the Golden Girls with my mother and I agree that they are similar. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written! I hardly ever watched the Golden Girls and I've never seen Hot in Cleveland. But sounds like a good comparison I will have to check out Hot in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also find it interesting that Betty While has the "Sophia" role in the new series. "The Golden Girls" seems to be timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Misty, yes you should check out Hot in Cleveland it is a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kris, did you know that the "The Golden Girls" had 180 episodes and "Hot in Cleveland" have 25 and still going strong.

    ReplyDelete